Week 14 Reading: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman) A

The All Important Ring 
This week I am reading the Ashliman unit of some classic Brothers Grimm stories. Some of part A's pieces were very familiar, but others I had never heard of. I remember growing up that I had a huge manuscript of Grimm stories (it seemed large at the time, and I think I would feel the same way today). But nowhere in that book did I read Cat and Mouse in Partnership or The Seven Ravens. They both definitely had some familiar literature themes, like the manipulative dialogue that leaves protagonists in some sort of pickle. In the Seven Ravens it took the seventh dwarf's help to resolve the conflict. In so many of these stories of folklore, there seems to be a reoccurring timeline. Even when stories can be entirely unfamiliar to a reader, there can always be elements that seem familiar and allow readers to relate to the text.

Story source: Dan Ashliman's Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales. Link.
Image source: Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Carl

Week 7 Story